- Strategy- they must have a trading system that is prooven to be consistent over time. This is extremely important because the market changes constantly. They must be able to adapt to this change and remain consistent. Also be certain that their strategy will work with your style and capital base.
- Educational Ability- you will be spending a lot of time with this person(s) so make sure they can relay information in an easy to understand way. If someone is an excellent trader but cant simplify the education, that will only confuse you more.
- Single Mentor- make sure you will be learning from a mentor that is able to spend time with you. if you have multiple mentors, you will get conflicting information and the learning curve is prolonged.
- Group Size- when being mentored, you will want to keep group sizes small. If you are in a trading room with hundreds of students, you are likely to not get your questions answered or feel intimidated to even ask. With a small group you will get much more out of it.
- Live Trading- you should be able to watch the mentor trade. This will give you a better understanding of how and why he is trading. Usually this is done via live online trading rooms.
- Interaction- it is very important to have verbal conversation with your trading mentor. Text is also good but lacks many things such as emotion. They should hear your thoughts while trading in order to identify strengths and weaknesses. Hearing you speak in real time can help them to understand your psychology.
- Time Spent- you should interact on a daily basis. The more time spent with a trading mentor, the more likely you are to learn quickly and efficiently. There must be a consistency when it comes to trading together. Because the market changes from day to day, you will need to learn to adapt and the more you see the more you will learn.
- Schedule- make sure that your schedule will work with that of the mentor's. If you only have one day per week to trade with your mentor, it is likely your trading will take much longer.
- Gauranteed Profits- if someone is promising you a get rich quick trading plan, RUN! Trading can be a very profitable career, but it takes time and commitment. Make sure you are given realistic goals.